I'm tired of the anticipation of spring and the garden, let's get on with the show! The weather forecast calls for high temperatues in the 50's this weekend, so I'm making my list of what I want to do on this first "real spring" weekend.
- Weed out the henbit from the vegetable garden and paths.
- Sow tomato, pepper, and eggplant seeds inside.
- Cut forsythia for indoor forcing (I'm moving it to the back yard anyway).
- Walk around and look for winter damage, make list of other things I need to do.
- Look around for signs of anything that might be blooming by March 15th.
- Drive slowly by any garden centers, big box stores or other retailers to see if they have pansies and violas for sale. If I find them, I'm buying some to put in pots on the front porch. I am not afraid they will freeze. If it gets too cold, I'll just drag them into the garage for the night.
- Round up pots to start elephant ears and caladiums in a few weeks. If I don't have enough pots, I'll have to get some. I bought the bulbs for these at Sam's Club at the end of January!
- Root some cuttings from my Swedish Ivy for my niece Sophie who now wants a house plant for her room.
- Order a new hoe for myself. 2007 - the year of the hoe, right?
What are you planning to do in your garden this weekend?