Are you ready for the Halloween Hare to visit your garden?
Did you set aside a few pieces of candy to appease him when he makes his midnight witching-hour call on your garden?
What will he find? Or rather what will he not find? And if he doesn't find what he's looking for - oh the horror! WHAT WILL HE DO TO YOUR GARDEN??
For those who are now confused or who've never heard of the Halloween Hare, here is some background information:
According to ancient gardening legend, the Halloween Hare hops from garden to garden on Halloween night looking for Easter candy not found in the spring Easter egg hunt. If the Halloween Hare doesn't find any candy, he will create a little havoc in the garden by pulling up plants or turning over containers. Many gardeners, hoping to avoid this mischief and havoc, will leave a few pieces of Halloween candy out in the garden for the Halloween Hare to find. Sightings of the Halloween Hare are rare.
Be ready! Straighten up your garden a bit and while you are doing that...
- Provide a clear path to the front door and on the front porch for the Trick-or-Treaters by removing containers and pots that they might not see in the dark. Remember they often travel in groups walking side by side so they need a wide path to the front door.
- Sacrifice a pumpkin to make a nice jack-o-lantern. Or get out your fake electric one like I do, plug it in, and you are all set. Mine has proudly served for at least 15 Halloweens!
- Rake leaves off the front walk, especially if it is going to rain, like it might here, so no one has an extra chance of falling. It's a known fact that Trick-or-Treaters like to run and it is almost guaranteed they will fall down a few times. Just don't let it be on your front walk.
- Skip your brilliant idea of giving tulip bulbs to the Trick-or-Treaters and give them candy instead.
- And no matter what, even if you think it sounds dumb, throw a few pieces of candy out into the garden for the Halloween Hare to find!
Management here at May Dreams Gardens will not be responsible for what might happen if you don't!