1. Lawns should have a shape.
2. It really is nice to come home and find that someone planted something in my garden while I was at work.
3. I’m actually okay with my lawn mowing time being reduced by about half in the back yard.
4. No plan is cast in stone.
5. I can turn into one of those clients who asks the same question more than once, hoping the answer will change.
And a bonus sixth thing.
6. Don’t be afraid to invest in hardscape.
And a bonus seventh thing.
7. A garden designer will help you get plants that you haven’t seen in the garden centers.
And a bonus eighth and ninth thing.
8. Dump your plant prejudices in the compost bin; you might like some of those plants you thought you didn’t like if they are planted in the right place in your garden.
9. Having a garden designer work with you doesn’t “de-personalize” your garden. My garden still feels like my personal space.
And the tenth and final thing I've learned so far from working with a garden designer...
10. I should have hired a garden designer years ago.